In 1867, Bishop & Fairchild was manufacturing patent machinists' tools and a post drill. The following February, New England Manufacturing Works & Co. was established as a joint stock company by Robert Fairchild and George W. Bishop, to manufacture their line of machinists' tools and post drill. The company must have been short-lived because we can find no evidence of its existence after 1869.
Broadside ad, dating between October 1867 and February 1868. George W. Bishop's 1867 post-drill patent, which covered the swinging and revolving table—a feature that became ubiquitous in many manufacturers' post drills.
- Via Carol Bishop Fisher, a descendant of George W. Bishop, is a report of an article in the Stamford Advocate for 1867-06-26, that pictured four of G. W. Bishop's patents that were being manufactured by Bishop & Fairchild, located on Northfield in Stamford. Fisher reports that she has a photograph of Bishop with his patent post drill.
- Volume VI (1866 to 1870) of Special Acts and Resolutions of the State of Connecticut lists The New England Manufacturing Works and Company as a joint stock company that filed its certificate of incorporation on February 28, 1868.
- E. B. Huntington's 1868 book, History of Stamford, Connecticut, From its Settlement in 1641 to the Present Time.
New England Manufacturing Works and Company.
This joint stock company was organized in 1868, with a capital of $60,000, for manufacturing machinists' tools. They are now operating by steam on Main street, near South, but have found it necessary to enlarge their works; and have purchased and are building at the foot of South street, near Knapp's Dock. Robert Fairchild is president; G. W. Bishop, the patentee of the articles now manufactured, is superintendent, and J. E. Law, treasurer.
- An 1869 wrench patent was granted to George W. Bishop and assigned to "The New England Manufacturing Works Company" [sic].