Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Edwards, Stevens & Co.
History
Last Modified: Oct 30 2017 7:53PM by joelr4
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

      Founded in 1840 by Avery Edwards and Oscar White under the name of Edwards & White. It was destroyed by fire in 1857 and Edwards proceeded to form a new partnership with one of his employees, Alonzo Stevens. The firm's name was changes to the Edwards & Stevens Machine Shop. In 1868, Edwards & Stevens added another partner, Frank Jubell and reincorporated as Edwards, Stevens & Co. In 1898, another fire swept through the factory. Jubell sold his interest and Edwards died in 1899 leaving Alonzo J. Stevens as sole owner. In 1901, Stevens sold the business to his son, Charles W. Stevens, who reorganized the company under the name Stevens Machine Co. That firm lasted until Charles W. Stevens death in 1911. The factory was finally sold to the American Woolen Co.

Information Sources