Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Merrimac Machine Shop
Last Modified: Dec 24 2017 12:48PM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

Established in 1853 and lasting until at least 1888, the Merrimac Machine Shop, proprietor Albert Blood, manufactured stationary and portable steam engines.

Information Sources

  • 1866 J. M. Bradstreet & Son's Gazetteer of the Manufactures and Manufacturing Towns of the United States lists Albert Blood as a machinist, and his firm as a supplier of mill gearing and shafting.
  • 1873 Lawrence Directory, published by Sampson, Davenport & Co., has an ad for "Geo. E. Cross, Mechanical Draughtsman, Pattern and Model Maker, At Merrimac Machine Shop, Near Merrimac Foundry, Lawrence, Mass."
  • The 1878 Standard History of Essex County, Massachusetts.
    Merrimac Machine-Shop is widely known, as is the proprietor, Albert Blood, who for many years has done a general business in iron work, mill shafting, and portable engines. Mr. Blood superintended building of spinning machinery for woollen mills, in the old Essex Company’s machine-shop.
  • 1881 Lawrence Directory, published by Sampson, Davenport & Co., has an ad for Merrimac Machine Shop, Albert Blood, proprietor.
  • The 1888 book, History of Essex County, Massachusetts.
    The Merrimac Machine-shop is a private enterprise; Albert Blood, proprietor; commenced business in 1853. From twelve to twenty persons are employed here in the manufacture of heavy ironwork, dye-house machinery, steam-engines, steam fire pumps, etc. This is an outgrowth of the old Lawrence Machine Shop, Mr. Blood being formerly in charge of the building of woolen machinery in that establishment.