Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - Taylor Machine Co.
History
Last Modified: Jul 7 2018 12:36PM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

William W. Taylor established the Taylor Machine Co. in 1907 to manufacture lathes, gears, and do general machine-shop jobbing. In 1917 the business was formally incorporated under the same name. They also reportedly made multi-spindle drilling machines but we have never seen one; given the company's other activities, it seems most likely that they made custom drilling machines for the automotive industry. The company disappeared after about 1924 and it is likely that they were a casualty of the depression affecting the machine tool industry in the mid-1920s.

From August 1917 Machinery

Taylor Machine Co. manufactured 20" and 24" quick-change engine lathes with "V" ways, as seen in the ad above. The lathes used the "Atlas" name and the base castings are labeled only "ATLAS / MADE IN U.S.A." So far as we can tell there is no connection to the much better known Atlas lathes from Atlas Press Co.

Information Sources

  • The 1909 edition of Cleveland Directory Co.'s Cleveland (Cuyahoga County, Ohio) City Directory lists "Taylor William W (Taylor Machine Co) r 2314 E 85th SE", and "Taylor Machine Co. 2327 E 79th SE".
  • June 1918 "Domestic Supplement" to The American Exporter has a small display ad from Taylor Machine Co. showing their Atlas lathes. "Quick Change, Double Back Geared. Made with 8, 10 and 12 ft. Beds, or longer made to order. 20 and 24" swing."
  • From Volume III of the 1918 book, A History of Cleveland and Its Environs.

    WILLIAM W. TAYLOR is president and general manager of The Taylor Machine Company at 7801 Carnegie Avenue. This business was established January 1, 1907, by Mr. Taylor and for ten years was conducted under his name. In 1917 it was incorporated as the Taylor Machine Company under the laws of Ohio.

    This is one of the important industries of Cleveland, and manufactures lathes, multiple spindle drill presses, priming cups and also does general jobbing in a kindred line of products. The market is all over the United States, and during 1917 the firm shipped $50,000 worth of goods to England and also large amounts to France. It is an industry that employs the services of ninety persons. Mr. Taylor is president and general manager; P. D. Crane is vice president; and R. T. Maskell is secretary and treasurer.

    William W. Taylor was born at New Straitsville, Ohio, August 8, 1879. His father, Thomas Taylor, was born in County Durham, England, in 1841, and came to America and settled at New Straitsville in 1866. For many years he was in the coal business but is now living retired at New Straitsville. He has done much in a public way in his community, having served on the Board of Education and in connection with other local movements. He is active in the Methodist Episcopal Church and for many years has been affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Thomas Taylor married Esther Hilton, who was born in Kentucky in 1854. Their children are William W.; Henry, in the mining business at Straitsville, Ohio; and Elizabeth, who died unmarried at the age of twenty-three.

    William W. Taylor, who was educated in the public schools of New Straitsville, came to Cleveland March 25, 1898. Here while serving his time and learning the trade of machinist he attended night school for four years, specializing in mechanical studies. He then engaged in his present business and in ten years has built up his company to rank among the prominent industries in the city. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Trinity Congregational Church, and is affiliated with Brenton D. Babcock Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Mount Oliver Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, Woodward Council, Royal and Select Masters, Holyrood Commandery, Knights Templar, and is a member of the Cleveland Automobile Club and Cleveland Credit Men’s Association.

    Mr. Taylor owns real estate in Cleveland and resides at 2314 East Eighty-fifth Street. He married at Cleveland August 9, 1904, Miss Mary Beerer, daughter of Joseph and Annie (Bailey) Beerer, both now deceased. They have two children: Ralph, born February 21, 1906; and Mildred, born November 21, 1911.

  • September 1922 Machinery carries a text ad: "All types of spur—bevel—spiral—worm / GEARS / Also Automobile Gears in Large Quantities / Taylor Machine Company / 7804 Carnegie Avenue / Cleveland, Ohio". The supplier listings include Taylor Machine Co. under "Gears, cut"; "Gears, fabric and fibre"; "Gears, rawhide"; and "Gears, worm".
  • The 2016 book, Automobile Manufacturers of Cleveland and Ohio, 1864-1942, by Frank E. Wrenick and Elaine V. Wrenick: "...and W. W. Taylor Machine Company offered to make any transmission gear required. ..."
  • Classified ad in March 1924 Popular Mechanics.
    County and district distributors now being placed on greatest accessory ever produced for Ford cars and trucks; made by machine organization in Cleveland, specializing on automotive production since 1907; installations already made on largest industrial fleets in the country; Ed Dunn of Akron sold 400 sets in less than 3 months; a bona fide automotive product for Fords only. Address The Taylor Machine Co., 1917-21 East 61st Street, Cleveland, Ohio.