|Columbian Steam Roller
Enterprise Mfg. Co. made Steam Rollers in the 1890’s.
This sawmill and engine manufacturer was established in 1878 under the name of The Enterprise Manufacturing Co. Reportedly the company was founded by Jacob Nold Detwiler (1854-1936) and his two brothers-in-law, Elmer and Albert Harrold. At some point Albert Harrold left Enterprise to form the Harrold Tool Co. in Leetonia and Elmer Harrold parted and became a co-founder of the Crescent Machine Co. also of Leetonia
An 1897 Letterhead lists the principals of the company: Amos Harrold, Simon Harrold and Jacob Detwiler. Amos and Simon Harrold were both brothers of Elmer and Albert Harrold who had by 1897 both left Enterprise to form their own companies.
Ad from June 1907 issue of "American Thresherman"
In 1913 or 1914, the company name changed to the Enterprise Co. During the late 1940s or early 1950s, Jacob Detwiler's sons sold Enterprise to the Wm. K. Stamets Co. of Pittsburgh. Stamets operated Enterprise Co. as a subsidiary (The Enterprise Division).
In August, 1953, Enterprise acquired the vast majority of the old Crescent Machine Company line of machinery from Rockwell Manufacturing Co. after Rockwell shut down the Crescent factory due to a long-lasting and bitter strike. While Rockwell kept the Crescent 8" jointer, 12"-14" tilting arbor saw, and light-duty 20" wood cutting bandsaw, the rest of the Crescent line went to Enterprise. Enterprise marketed many of the old Crescent machines under both the Crescent and Enterprise names throughout the 1950's, 1960's and into the 1970's.
Sometime during the 1980s Stamets sold out Reichard Industries. Since then, the franchise has passed through The Jeffco Company and J.E.S. Technologies of Columbiana Ohio. Sometime in 2005, the company once again changed names and/or merged with Alloy Machining. Jeffco, J.E.S. and Alloy Machining all have had the same address in Columbiana, OH indicating that they only changed names.
Alloy Machining has had some limited parts and manuals for machinery made by Enterprise. They can be contacted at:
1028 Lower Elkton Road
Columbiana, OH 44408
Phone: 330-482-5543 (ask for Ed Keating)
- An 1897 Letterhead from the Enterprise M'F'G Co.
- An early 1900s catalog listed the name of the company as Enterprise MFG. Co.
- A postcard with a 1912 postmark still list the company name as Enterprise Manufacturing Company.
- An October 1913 ad in Better Roads gives the company name as "Enterprise Mfg. Co."
- A November 1914 ad in American Exporter gives the company name as "The Enterprise Co."
- A 1920 catalog of "Portable Saw Mills" lists the company name as The Enterprise Co.
- Listed in C. H. Wendel's "The Circular Sawmill", which says, incorrectly, that it was located in "Columbus, Ohio". He reproduces an ad from an 1890 issue of "The Age of Steel".
- The U. S. Forest Products Laboratory published a booklet dated March 1936, Operating small sawmills, methods, bibliography, and sources of equipment by C. J. Telford. A table lists the makers of various types of equipment, including circular sawmills, band sawmills, edgers, and planers. This company was listed as a maker of circular sawmills and edgers.
- Sometime during the late 1940s or early 1950s, Jacob Detwiler's sons sold Enterprise to Wm. K. Stamets Co. of Pittsburgh. Stamets operated Enterprise Co. as a subsidiary. We have seen an early 1950s Enterprise catalog that confirms this relationship.
In Jack Norbeck's, Encyclopedia Of American Steam Traction Engines, there is a picture of the 16 to 60hp Enterprise steam portable engine that was pictured in a 1914 Enterprise Co. Catalog. Built in Columbiana, OH, this engine could be detached from the boiler and could be mounted on skids on or off the boiler. This engine's firebox was a full water bottom, unusually large and deep for wood fuel. The firedoor was placed well to the top so that the firebox could easily be filled when firing. The dome was placed directly over the fire box and was of sufficient size to supply the engine with dry hot steam. Another picture shows a 70hp Enterprise steam portable engine that was pictured in a 1914 Enterprise Co. catalog. Each one of the boilers wastested to 265psi in cold water pressure after assembling. After all parts and fittings were attached, engineers fired each one and carried a pressure of 175psi while the safety valve and steam gauge were set at the pressure. This engine was of center crank construction, with balance discs on the crank shaft. The entire engine was of heavy construction, suitable for high pressure and high speed operation.