Welcome! 

Register :: Login
Manufacturers Index - E. B. Hayes Machine Co.
History
Last Modified: Apr 25 2016 4:47PM by Jeff_Joslin
If you have information to add to this entry, please contact the Site Historian.

This company was founded in 1895 by Eli B. Hayes, a former superintendent for Paine Lumber Co., Ltd. of Oshkosh. Between 1916 and 1920 the E. B. Hayes Machine Co. disappeared and Wisconsin Parts Co. appeared, owned by a young Willard F. Rockwell, who eventually created Rockwell Manufacturing Co.—a major player in the woodworking machinery business and many other industries as well.

J. F. Hayes, who was the last head of E. B. Hayes, worked for Wisconsin Parts. Other information suggests that E. B. Hayes Machine Co. was merged with Falls Machine Co. to create Jenkins Machine Co.. At this time it is not clear how Falls Machine Co. relates to Wisconsin Parts Co.

Information Sources

  • An 1895 issue of Iron Trade Review has the following snippet.
    The E. B. Hayes Machine Co., of Oshkosh, Wis, has been incorporated by E. B. Hayes and J. F. Hayes, of Oshkosh, and V. R. Hayes of Milwaukee. The capital stock is $25,000 and the business ofthe concern will be the manufacture of machines, castings, etc., and a general machine shop and foundry business.
  • Used machines in 1917 catalog.
  • Ad in 1955-56 Hitchcock Wood Worker's Digest Directory for used "sash and door stick with plowing and boring."
  • Special thanks to Mara Munroe of the Oshkosh Public Library, who provided the results of her research on Oshkosh woodworking machinery manufacturers.